Saturday, July 2, 2011

Car-culture is cruel - public transit is humane


Sarah S. Anker
Suffolk County Legislator 6th District
620 Route 25A Suite B
Mount Sinai, NY 11766                                 

Dear Sarah,                                                                                                                       June 29, 2011

It was great to see you again today at Stop and Shop and I am thrilled you are now my legislator.  I know that you will do well.

What I am writing you about are the buses presently running in Suffolk County.  I find this system to be pathetic.  Why do I say that? There are no buses which run into the evening hours or on Sundays and that hurts working people and those with medical challenges who are not allowed to drive.  I fit the former.  I am epileptic and there is many times where I must take a cab on Sundays to get me to and from work.  So, instead of paying $3.00 for a bus, I must pay $20 for a cab to and from work.  As you know, grocery store workers do not make a lot of money so it is financially devastating.

I have been outspoken on the Internet writing columns of this subject as well as calling Newsday’s attention to it via Twitter.com.  Yet, it seems that the working class and the medically challenged are left to fend for themselves.  I have often challenged politicians to go without their cars and ride buses for at least a week and see if they are able to attend their business.

I am strongly urging you to look into this matter and become the voice of those who must take buses as their way of getting around.

Sincerely,
Mary MacElveen [facebook]